76-Year-Old Man Hospitalized With Organ Failure After He Was Bitten By Rat In His Toilet

Brett Jordan/Unsplash

A man in Canada suffered organ failure and sepsis after a rat, which he found in his toilet, bit his hand while he was trying to remove it, according to the New York Post.

After initially receiving treatment for his rat bite, the man returned to the emergency room 18 days later. The 76-year-old experienced symptoms like fever, headaches, and abdominal pain for three days, per the Canadian Medical Association Journal. 

Medical tests revealed that the man had a high heart rate, low blood pressure, and kidney damage. The elderly man revealed signs of multi-organ dysfunction and sepsis, resulting in him being transferred to the intensive care unit. Doctors believed his illness was connected to his wound, which was healing at the time. 

Through blood and urine tests, doctors learned that the man had leptospirosis, which is a bacterial infection normally transmitted from

“animals like rats to humans.”

Reports noted that the infection can be fatal in severe cases. According to the report, doctors suspect that the rat may have ingested the contaminated urine before biting the man’s fingers. According to The Post, the bacteria is located in the urine of animals.

#Clique, what are your thoughts? 

Our biggest stories, straight to your box.

Sign up now to get our essential daily briefs on politics' Environment, Royals and more.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement and Privacy Policy & Cookies Statement


Editors Picks