Sadly, a professional rower, Andrade Reis, died earlier in the month after swallowing a bee while paddling along the coast in Brazil, reports the New York Post.
On March 2, the 43-year-old was the head of a cycling tour of Ponta Negra beach, in Manaus, Amazonas, according to G1. However, an unexpected turn of events occurred in the middle of the ride when a bee flew down his throat, his family told the Brazilian news outlet.
During the shocking encounter, Reis went into anaphylactic shock, which is a life-threatening allergic reaction. The 43-year-old was in an area that lacked medical facilities so he was forced to wait 20 minutes before aid arrived. During the wait, his condition grew worst.
Rosilene Reis, his sister said,
“There was no help, no health center, no hospital close by. The most that were available was a fire Department base that didn’t have a doctor on duty.”
When help arrived, a fireman attempted to resuscitate the cyclist. First responders then arrived and transported the man to the hospital five miles away before sending him to the intensive care unit. Reis passed away on Thursday.
His sister blamed inadequate and slow response from first responders. She said,
“If there had been adequate care, a doctor, a fireman, or a health center, someone could have resuscitated my brother.”
It’s unclear if Reis knew he was allergic to bees.
#Clique, what are your thoughts?