8-Year-Old Dies After Consuming Strawberries From School Fundraiser, Reports Say

Anton Darius/Unsplash

An investigation is underway in Kentucky after an 8-year-old boy passed away from consuming strawberries purchased from a school fundraiser. The Madisonville Police Department responded to a call about the boy’s respiratory distress and unresponsiveness at 6:30 a.m. on Friday, reports Fox News. 

According to the boy’s parents, he had consumed a number of strawberries from a high school fundraiser the previous night. As he started showing symptoms on Thursday, his parents administered Benadryl and gave him a bath.

As his illness got worst, the family sought medical help at a nearby emergency room on Thursday night but brought him back home later. The family contacted authorities after finding the boy unresponsive on Friday morning. The initial autopsy report from the Hopkins County Health Department concluded that the cause of death was an

“isolated allergic reaction.” 

The Director for the Hopkins County Health Department, Denise Beach, revealed,

“Dr. Christopher Kiefer, Medical Examiner, said the incident involving strawberries looks like an isolated allergic reaction.” 

“He relates that this is a preliminary report, so we still advise not eating the strawberries currently,”

he added. 

It is unclear whether the boy had any existing allergies to strawberries, as authorities have not provided any information regarding his medical history.

The health department revealed,

“Currently, the Department of Public Health Environmentalists are taking samples of the strawberries to the state lab for testing.” 

#Clique, what are your thoughts? 

Our biggest stories, straight to your box.

Sign up now to get our essential daily briefs on politics' Environment, Royals and more.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement and Privacy Policy & Cookies Statement


Editors Picks