UK Man Dies After Attempting A 21-Cocktail Challenge While On Family Vacation In Jamaica

Timmy Southern
Photo Credit: Timmy Southern's GoFundMe

UK native Timmy Southern, 53, died while on vacation with his family in Jamaica after he attempted a local restaurant’s 21-cocktail drink challenge that involved consuming all the drinks on the bar menu. 

The NY Post reveals that Southern returned to his room at the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean in Saint Ann after completing 12 cocktails on the menu. Unfortunately, he died shortly after. A Kingston pathologist said his cause of death came from

“acute gastroenteritis due to alcohol consumption.”

Another coroner from Staffordshire, Ema Serrano, ruled his death as alcohol-related.

An investigation into Southern’s death revealed he began drinking brandy and beer in the morning. During the day, he met two Canadian women who planned to complete the 21-cocktail challenge before midnight for their birthday celebrations.

It’s unclear how fast he consumed the 12 cocktails. However, his family tried their hardest to help him before he passed away.

An unnamed relative told authorities,

“He was on his back choking. I put him in the recovery position and screamed for an ambulance. He was making a gurgling sound. As soon as he was in the recovery position, he vomited. I was shouting his name with no response.”

The family has expressed frustrations and anger post-incident because they believe Southern received a lackluster emergency response from the paramedics. It’s unclear whether the response team effectively delivered life-saving measures.

According to the relative,

“When the nurse arrived, I said, ‘Had an ambulance been called’ and she said, ‘No.’ I thought she would take over. But that was not the case. I noticed he was starting to lose temperature. I checked his pulse and couldn’t find it.”

They continued,

“She said he had a pulse. I was starting to lose it. I got a full look at his face, and I thought he had passed away,”

The relative mentions that the nurse only administered chest compressions, not CPR. The family believes more could’ve been done to save Southern.

Additionally, the grieving family member stated:

“The service and treatment he received was disgusting.”

The family has a GoFundMe page to help with funeral expenses and to bring Southern back to Staffordshire.

Our biggest stories, straight to your box.

Sign up now to get our essential daily briefs on politics' Environment, Royals and more.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement and Privacy Policy & Cookies Statement


Editors Picks