Man Dies After Consuming Raw Oysters Sold At Missouri Seafood Stand, Health Officials Announced

Photo Credit: Unsplash/ Ben Stern

A 54-year-old man passed away after eating raw oysters at a seafood stand in St. Louis, Missouri, per Insider

St. Louis County Health Department says his death is linked to a bacteria called Vibrio vulnificus, which can be carried by oysters and other shellfish. The bacteria sometimes turns up in warm, coastal waters, typically during the summer months, reports note. 

The victim, whose identity has not been disclosed, reportedly ate raw oysters from the Fruit Stand & Seafood in Manchester, Missouri, sometime in the past week, according to an investigation. He was being treated at a local hospital but later died, Thursday.

County health officials warned citizens who bought oysters from the establishment to throw them out. The county revealed that the oysters had been contaminated before the business received them.

“All remaining oysters in the establishment were embargoed by health officials as investigators attempt to determine the source of the oysters in question,”

reports state. According to health officials,

“symptoms of vibriosis, the disease caused by the bacteria, can include abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, fever, and chills.”

It is rare for one to die from vibriosis unless they suffer from a weakened immune system. Doctors instruct anyone who has eaten raw oysters and starts experiencing any symptoms to seek medical attention immediately.

#Clique, what are your thoughts?

Our biggest stories, straight to your box.

Sign up now to get our essential daily briefs on politics' Environment, Royals and more.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement and Privacy Policy & Cookies Statement


Editors Picks